O. Milašiaus 23, LT-10102 Vilnius, Lithuania
Telephone: +370 5 247 7856
Fax: +370 5 247 7856
Mr. Virgilijus Morosas
Preserves documents of regional state, municipal, non-state institutions and individuals of the Vilnius, Švenčionys, Šalčininkai, Trakai, Širvintos, Ukmergė, Utena, Molėtai, Ignalina, Zarasai and Anykščiai districts (Vilnius and Utena counties) from 1945 until the present day. Archives is also involved in supervision of records management of local public institutions.
Documents preserved in the Vilnius Regional State Archives comprise the following sets.
- A set of documents relating to the Soviet occupation period (1944–1989): documents created by the local governments that were functioning on the territory of Vilnius and Utena Counties before 1990; documents of notary’s offices and scientific, health care, educational and cultural institutions functioning in the above mentioned region;
- A set of documents relating to the Independence period (since 1990): documents of Šalčininkai, Širvintos, Švenčionys, Trakai, Ukmergė, Vilnius district councils and boards; Eišiškės, Lentvaris, Nemenčinė, Pabradė, Šalčininkai, Širvintos, Švenčionėliai, Švenčionys, Trakai, Ukmergė, Vievis town councils and mayor’s offices. There are also documents referring to the activities of townships and elderships and their head offices. Documents created by the state and municipal institutions, organisations and enterprises that have been functioning and still are functioning on the territory of Utena County are preserved in Utena branch.
- A set of documents of the Institute for Reconstruction of Cultural Monuments (1950–1993): regeneration projects of the Vilnius Old Town, technical documentation (drawings, models, photographs) of the architectural complexes of Gediminas Hill, Vilnius University buildings, churches of St. Catherine, St. Michael, St. George, St. Peter and Paul, St. Ann, Pažaislis Camaldolese Monastery, the branch of Mikalojus Konstantinas Čiurlionis Museum in Pažaislis, Benedictine Monastery in Old Trakai, Old Trakai Castle and surroundings, Viekšniai Pharmacy in Mažeikiai (earlier – Akmenė) district, as well as other monument sights and manors in different towns of Lithuania;
- A set of documents of the Museum of Architecture includes the works of the prominent Lithuanian architects: V. Landsbergis-Žemkalnis, V. Drėma, V. Zubovas, V. Brėdikis, A. Kaušpėdas, E. Arbas-Arbačiauskas, and others;
- A set of Vilnius territory planning documents of the Urban Architecture Division (of the Urban Development Department of the Vilnius City Council) (1933–1994) might be a source of valuable information for those who interested in the development of Vilnius. This set of documents includes the project of arrangement of the Cathedral Square in Vilnius, drawings and measurements of Gediminas Hill, the map of Vingis Park, maps of Vilnius, regulations for Vilnius development, topographic pictures and other documents;
- A set of documents of Vilnius Old Town Restoration Directorate (1974–1994) includes documents reflecting the architectural and cultural development of Vilnius Old Town: engineering and geological research studies, architectural and archaeological measurements and technical documentation of dwelling houses in Vilnius Old Town residential quarters, of Radvila Palace and Chodkevičius Palace, architectural ensembles of Dominican Monastery, Jesuit Monastery and Bernadine Monastery, Reformed Evangelical Church and Church of St. Casimir, Adam Mickiewicz Public Library, the Main Jewish Synagogue known under the name of the Vilnius Gaon House, the Signatories House, Marija and Jurgis Šlapeliai House Museum, as well as other buildings of Vilnius Old Town.
Currently, Vilnius Regional State Archives contain document files occupying approximately 10 300 linear metres of shelving space.
_ _ _